Let's Talk Analytics!
Request a demo of our sales activity tracking software today
Sales Activity Tracker
The primary way businesses measure growth is by monitoring sales. It’s imperative to analyze your company’s sales performance and then make recommendations based on those findings. Since your sales performance influences your business growth, you need to use the best tools so that when it comes to making tough sales decisions, you can distinguish what is working and what isn’t. One of these tools is a sales activity tracker.
What Is Sales Activity Tracking?
Sales activity tracking refers to the process of analyzing and tracking the different stages and types of activities throughout the sales process. Monitoring sales aims to measure the success of your current sales strategies and identify what areas need improvement. A sales activity tracker helps you to identify what activities and processes are driving sales and which ones aren’t so that you can integrate strategies that improve revenue outcomes.
There are two types of data that influence sales:
1. Quantitative Data: Quantitative data is data that can be broken into raw data. It explains the ‘what’ and is entirely unbiased. Examples of quantitative data include:
- The number of sales leads.
- The average amount of time spent per lead.
- The number of activities occurring when winning and losing deals.
- The number of closes made by the team.
- Where the leads are coming from.
2. Qualitative Data: Qualitative data gives meaning to quantitative data by giving it more context. It is more subjective compared to quantitative data. It explains the ‘how’ and ‘why.’ Examples of qualitative data include:
- Why clients want/don’t want to buy your products.
- The value seen by a client.
- How productively you’re using your time.
- Your salesperson’s confidence in an opportunity.
Using both qualitative and quantitative data is an effective way of tracking your sales.
Now that we are familiar with what sales activity tracking means, let’s delve into how it works.
How Does Sales Activity Tracking Work?
You might be asking yourself, ‘how do I track sales activities?’
The first step of sales activity tracking is setting up a sales activity tracking process. The following are the steps of creating a plan:
1. Determine the Data You Want to Track: The first step of building a sales activity program is to get a clear understanding of the data you want to track. As a business, you probably gather data from multiple sources to get a better picture of what strategies are working and what is not. This data may be from marketing emails, social media platforms, help desk software, and automation platforms. Determine the key metrics that you will need to measure and use to evaluate your sales teams continually. These metrics may include:
- The number of touches or activities it takes for a lead to respond.
- The average time it takes for a lead to become an opportunity.
- The number of emails or phone calls it takes to get in touch with someone.
- The number of meetings, calls, and contacts that need to be engaged in each stage of the sales process.
2. Determine Where You Will Track Your Sales Activities: Having a designated sales activity tracker will help keep your business aligned on how your general team and individual team members are performing. Typically, keeping track of your sales would require your team members to manually input data from every interaction with a prospective client and every lead into a CRM Platform, or sales spreadsheet template, ensure it’s accurate and then save it before moving to the next one. This process is tedious and prone to human error. There is a likelihood that you might later find yourself making business decisions based on inaccurate data. This method of manually inputting data also means that your sales reps will spend more time away from their core duties. Tools like Salesforce & Hubspot for CRM assist with this process. While tools like SalesLoft, Outreach, Gong, and Chorus automate the entry and capture of these activities.
3. Share Your Plan with Your Team Members: Once you have determined your data and where to track it, share your sales activity program with the rest of the team to get them on board.
Having a sales activity tracker also helps to get new employees onboard faster since it outlines everything they need to do to hit their sales quota. Established team goals will help drive effort and alignment on the reasons these goals are established and how they will achieve them.
Sales activity tracking is vital to your business. For this reason, it needs to be done accurately. To effectively track your sales activity, you need to:
4. Be Consistent: When creating a sales activity tracking program, you need to set a standard for your sales team. What data are you tracking? How often should this data be updated? Continuously recording your metrics frees up time for your sales team to spend looking for prospective clients.
5. Be Accurate: Your sales activity tracking data is only beneficial to your business if it’s accurate. It’s recommended that a salesman sets aside time to record data after a sales conversation with a client. Sales accuracy will help you determine where you are thriving as a business and where you need to make improvements.
6. Be Unbiased: One of the essential things you can do with your sales activity tracking data is to be unbiased. Look at it as if you were an outsider. Where are your pain points? Where do you thrive? Many organizations are tempted to pull in what they want from their data to make them feel good about themselves. It’s professional to admit that you are failing. Use your sales activity tracking data to convert leads and drive your sales in the right direction.
What are the Benefits of Tracking Sales Activity?
Although keeping track of your sales activities may seem tedious at first, with the right software to automate data collection and interpretation, you can reap several benefits. These benefits include:
1. You Have the Ability to See Patterns: Patterns are crucial to the running of your business. They are signs that something is either going right or wrong with your sales process. Tracking your sales activity using weekly or monthly sales reports enables you to establish these tendencies, establish their causes, and make appropriate changes or amplify efforts. Excel and Google Sheets offer sales templates free to allow you to determine these patterns.
2. You Have the Ability to Make Projections and Prevent Losses: Smart decision making is critical for every business. With many decisions to be made, you have to ensure that you make the right ones. With accurate sales metrics, you make decisions based more on scientific facts and less on instincts. Patterns established by your metrics can not only be used to make projections about your business but also influence the implementation of techniques that are proven to drive sales across the board.
In the same capacity, techniques that drive sales down or have no impact on sales can be squashed to prevent further losses
3. You Can Establish Cause and Effect Relationships: Without accurate data, it is impossible to determine cause and effect relationships since you can never be sure how one variable affects the other. By tracking sales activity, you can analyze and find answers to your sales predicament and get answers to questions such as:
- Which team member is performing the worst/best?
- What outreach channel yields more leads?
- What are the most relevant products/services?
- In what season does your business boom?
- What percentage of prospects are lost to a competitor?
4. Helps to Keep Your Sales Reps Accountable: Do members of your sales team bring in the same amount of revenue? It’s difficult to know without hard data. By tracking the performance of your team members using an excel sales template, you create a sense of accountability. Using a sales lead tracking excel template or lead tracker template google sheets, you can identify top-performing reps and also figure out which sales reps are failing to reach their set quotas.
Using Excel to Track Sales
As a business, you receive large amounts of sales data every day – from emails sent to your sales team to the many deals you have closed and everything in between. Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets provide you with free excel sales templates and sales tracker google sheets to make sales tracking easier. Using an excel sales tracking template, a customer tracking spreadsheet excel, an excel client tracking template, or a daily, weekly, and monthly sales report template excel free makes it easy for you to have all this data in one place.
A sales tracking spreadsheet can not only be used by your sales team to keep track of the number of calls or emails that were made, meetings that were scheduled, or deals that were closed; it can also help them to pre-plan their day.
Excel provides you with sales spreadsheet templates that allow you to not only evaluate your sales process but also visualize your data and get a general overview of your team’s progress. However, it is overwhelming to manually create these spreadsheets, customize them to meet the tracking needs of your business, and ensure that they are always up to date.
Another disadvantage of using a sales activity tracking spreadsheet is that spreadsheets are difficult to manipulate on mobile phones and cannot be edited without a stable internet connection.
Using Apps to Track Sales
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) apps help businesses track and manage client interactions throughout their sales process. Compared to spreadsheets, sales tracker app enable you to automatically track your data in reactive dashboards, view reports, and visualize data. They take the load off from you and help you to dedicate your time to your core responsibilities.
Examples of the best apps for sales reps include:
- HubSpot CRM.
Sales tracking apps give your team more time to close sales and create profitable relationships with prospective clients. Sales activity tracking applications can also help to boost your sales productivity, automate your workflows, and eliminate the need for spreadsheets.
With so many paid-for and free sales tracking app in the market, which one should you choose? We highly recommend the best sales tracking app in the market, Canopy.io
Our simple sales tracking app provides you with accurate sales data activity tracking, organization, visualization, and automation you need from the convenience of your desktop or mobile device. Our field sales management app also makes it easier for you to manage your dispersed sales teams, improve sales reps’ productivity, and ultimately boost sales.
Let Canopy Help Track Your Activity Sales
With Canopy’s sales activity tracking module, you can evolve from basic disconnected dashboards to insights that drive revenue and behavior. . Our software maximizes your sales team’s tracking effectiveness by automatically logging in calls, visits, and emails from prospective clients. This way, you are always in the know and can formulate sales management strategies with little administrative effort, and make business decisions even when you are out of the office.
Canopy.io doesn’t just help you to track sales. With consistent monthly sales reporting, we also provide sales forecasting to help you understand trends and get better with time, sales coaching to help you improve team productivity, sales analysis to help you get a better understanding of what drives these trends, and signaling to ensure that you are always up to date.
Try Canopy today to optimize your sales!
Looking for more information about other sales tools? Check out some of our other pages!