Get the Data Your Managers Need to Drive Performance
Request a demo of our forecasting software today!
One Platform. Every Answer.
Real-time awareness through active data monitoring, notifications, and custom goal tracking.
Streamline your forecasting process while monitoring and measuring variance to drive constant improvement.
Drive productivity and results through individual assessments, improvement tracking, and notes.
Answer key questions around trends, risks, and past performance through snapshot reporting for any period and any subset of data.
How can Canopy help you?
Sales Metrics KPI
Unlike income, more is not always better with sales data. Once you track and measure everything, you tend to hit analysis paralysis. These numbers can slow your teams instead of empowering them to sell more goods or services.
Choosing the right sales metrics and data is essential to your success. Whether you are a sales representative angling for bonuses or a top manager seeking to get the best out of teams, understanding the metrics to track, their significance, and how to follow them is vital to your success.
We will cover various issues regarding KPIs, also known as Key Performance Indicators, and guide you on how to get the results you deserve.
What Is Sales Metrics KPI?
Sales KPIs, or metrics, are measurements used by top management and sales teams to track sales activities’ effectiveness as it relates to performance or goal achievement. KPI’s for sales and marketing establish sales targets that the company must achieve. Relevant departments compare the actual performance with the expected performance to help them make various decisions.
Sales KPI examples include:
- Lead-to-opportunity ratio.
- Upsell & cross-sell rates.
- Lead conversion ratio.
- Sales growth.
- Customer churn rate.
- Customer lifetime value.
- Customer acquisition cost.
- Sales target.
- The average revenue per unit.
- Revenue per sales rep.
- Profit margin per sales rep.
- And more.
Companies can use sales KPIs in many ways:
- Organizations Can Use KPIs to Identify Performing Employees or Groups: Acknowledging and rewarding their contribution motivates them to continue working hard.
- Organizations Can Use KPIs to Identify Areas for Improvement: A sales KPI dashboard can show you where you are not meeting your targets. Focus on these areas to know what you can do differently to improve.
- KPIs Let You Measure Your Results: Breaking down your sales KPI targets can help you track your performance from an early stage. This capability allows you to take corrective measures early to achieve your long-term objectives.
Why are Sales Metric KPI’s Useful?
Using sales metrics KPIs can have many benefits.
- Identify What is Working: In many cases, the primary goal of a KPI is to drive the desired outcomes. These relate to the goals and revenue targets established for teams and individuals. Pacing toward KPI’s should result in the desired outcomes. If they do not, whether that be underachieving or overachieving, you can identify this sooner rather than later and make adjustments.
- Stay Ahead of Your Competition: Use sales metrics KPIs to compare your performance against expected outcomes and those of your rivals. You can use the findings of this comparison to introduce strategies to give you a competitive edge.
- Focus on Essential Parts of Your Business: As you determine your KPIs, the vital areas will get a place in your sales performance dashboard. Concentrate on these areas to achieve the desired results.
- They Promote Accountability: Sales metrics KPIs will highlight excellent performance and underperformance. You can encourage or warn a team member when you have a KPI for a sales representative.
- Eliminate Wastes: KPI for sales support can establish inefficiencies in the business. You can get rid of these inefficiencies to optimize sales performance.
Sales Roles That Use Sales Metrics KPI
The sales function is a broad field. Companies often hire different sales employees to perform various roles. These workers need KPIs for many reasons.
- Sales Manager: A sales manager is in charge of sales performance and achievement. They need sales KPIs to help them get the best out of their teams. For example, a sample KPI for a sales manager can be sales cycles, win rates, and ACV or Average Contract Value. These factors help leaders understand the volume of leads necessary to achieve quota in a given time window. If the amount is high, they need better strategies to attract customers without spending many resources.
- Sales and Marketing Department: This department comprises individuals involved in the advertising and the actual selling of the company’s goods and services. These functions work hand in hand, as the salespeople understand the customers better and can give insights into them. For example, a KPI for the sales and marketing department may be the lead conversion ratio. It can show whether the messaging of advertisements leads to the desired conversion rate. Their success is essential to the company meeting its revenue targets.
- Sales Coordinator: A sales coordinator organizes sales teams and performs other relevant administrative duties. They form, prepare, motivate, and monitor sales teams. A sales coordinator needs sales KPIs to track sales teams’ performance and take corrective measures if actual performance does not meet the expected standards. For example, a KPI for a sales coordinator can be sales revenue from a group.
- Sales Representative: A sales representative represents the company in various sales activities, such as interacting with prospects and attending exhibitions. A sales representative needs sales KPIs to track their performance. They can help them know whether they meet sales targets, meaning they can be eligible for bonuses, promotions, and other forms of recognition. A KPI for sales representative can be their sales growth.
- Marketing Manager: A marketing manager is responsible for messaging the company’s offering to prospects. They need sales KPI to know whether they are successful in their advertising efforts. For example, a sample KPI for a marketing manager can be the lead conversion ratio. This KPI shows whether leads buy from you when they interact with the company’s offering. An excellent lead conversion ratio shows the messaging is perfect, and no significant improvements are necessary.
- Human Resource Department: The HR department can have a role to play in sales performance. They can look at the KRA and KPI for the sales manager and advise on how to optimize them. For example, allocating the right responsibilities to employees ensures they use their skills well, and they avoid inefficiencies that hinder their performances. The HR department can also motivate the staff to achieve the desired level of productivity and dedication.
Using Excel for Sales Metric KPI
KPIs can give you a lot of information. The collection of data is one of the most challenging aspects. However, with this data, you should be able to filter to get the details you need. Various stakeholders should also be able to use them for data-driven decision-making and planning with ease. Leveraging the right presentation and analysis can ensure you get the most out of sales KPIs.
You can use Microsoft Excel to create your KPI dashboard. Some companies use Excel to enjoy the many excel dashboard templates xlsx.
Follow these five steps when building a KPI dashboard Excel template:
- Collect the data you will use when building the chart. The information is likely to have two axes, one for the element you are tracking and the other for different periods. Taking these snapshots for each period is crucial.
- Highlight the information and select the applicable chart. The program recommends charts on the “Insert” tab.
- Copy and paste the chart into a separate worksheet. Do this procedure for every illustration you want to build for your production KPI dashboard excel template.
- Resize the charts depending on their importance. Grab the corner of each illustration to resize them. The more significant ones should be bigger than the less significant ones.
- Adjust the size of the KPI scorecard template Excel according to the place you will display it. Sizing it well ensures it is clear and appealing with devices of varying resolution.
Many organizations are skeptical about using Excel for sales KPIs. They have various concerns with the program.
- Copying and Pasting Data from Other Worksheets Can Result in Errors: These mistakes happen with charts that require continuous updating, such as Excel sales tracking templates whose measures need to be up-to-date.
- Manual Updates Are Time-Consuming: For example, filling in employee details during promotions, recruitment, or employment termination to the employee KPI template Excel can take a lot of time.
- It Isn’t Easy to Customize Reporting Formats: You cannot use Excel to get the advanced graphics and visuals that you need. The program requires you to update every chart when making changes to custom charts.
- Using Several Programs Creates Inefficiencies: You will use Excel with other solutions, such as PowerPoint and Word. This need means you will have to reformat, copy, and paste the information in these applications. Using all these programs has risks, as you may make mistakes, waste time, and struggle to create the final report.
Companies often look for solutions to these challenges. Use a software solution to address these issues.
Using Software Solutions
Software solutions allow you to get customized charts and dashboards for sales and distribution KPIs. You get many options with the flexibility to enable you to get the remedies you need. If you choose this route, you have various options to consider. These alternatives include:
1. Canopy: This option is among the best solutions you will get in the market. It has various features that can be ideal for you. Most importantly Canopy automates the snapshotting of data, trend comparison, KPI analysis, and was tailor-made for sales metrics and KPI’s. You will also get different signals to guide your revenue team as things change. They can let them know areas they excel in and those that need improvement. You will have access to custom signal creation, real-time notification, KPI monitoring, and opportunity risk identification.
The program also has excellent forecasting support capability. It combines bottoms-up forecasting workflows, active deal monitoring, and AI & ML driven statistical models to offer the most comprehensive view. You can get valuable insight into various sales key performance indicators and metrics.
Sales managers can have the visibility needed to drive revenue. This program has coach capability that enables managers to identify team members’ weaknesses and strengths, measure the relevant KPIs, and compare results.
Unlike the sales KPI dashboard salesforce your data will be up to date in Canopy. You are no longer limited to single object reporting. The program lets you filter the appropriate metrics, look at past trends, and drill down on every stage.
2. Tableau: This program is an integrated BI (business intelligence) and analytics solution that enables businesses to analyze their data and generate helpful insights. You can collect its data from various sources, such as spreadsheets, cloud apps, and SQL databases. The most important thing to remember is the requirement for a Tableau admin. Any BI tool will require massive customization, ongoing maintenance, and significant business definition to identify the right data.
The program brags of an interactive sales KPI dashboard tableau. You can slice and dice data sets to generate useful insights and explore new opportunities. Various industries use the program, including health centers, educational institutions, banks, and manufacturing firms.
The right KPIs and tracking software can help you achieve your objectives. Software solutions analyze various data without challenges. Choose the right program to ensure you analyze and represent data in a helpful way. Leveraging your business’s right KPIs can show you if you perform as expected or areas for improvement. Take corrective measures early to ensure you succeed.
Looking to learn more? Check out some of our other pages!